Sunday, November 6, 2011

Wherein I Cram a Week Into One Post

Whew!  This has been a big, busy week and I have been sick for most of it with the worst UTI ever.  I am thankful to be feeling better and for all the help I got from so many people, and I am thoroughly dreading tomorrow at work.  I already have a list of things to do tomorrow as long as my leg and I haven't even seen my desk yet.  Boooo.

In Ben news, he had an awesome Halloween and was healthy enough to celebrate it.  Last Sunday, we carved pumpkins and he very happily scooped the guts out of the pumpkins.  This is fantastic sensory news, as it didn't seem to bother him at all.  He also seemed very happy that Mommy and Daddy were both involved, and it was a fun activity.  He chose a "ghosty face" for the white pumpkin and a "happy jack'o lantern face" for our big orange one.

On the day of Halloween, he happily donned his fireman outfit and was very excited to trick-or-treat.  We went to some family members' homes first and then we did two blocks at home.  There weren't very many porch lights on, but the people who did participate were sweet and generous.  Ben had a blast, and he nicely said "Trick or treat!" and "thank you" at each house, though sometimes in the wrong order.  Oh well.  He was the cutest fireman ever and got lots of smiles and compliments.  He had a bit of anxiety in places when there wasn't a porch light on for a few houses or when he wanted to carry a big sharp stick and we wouldn't let him for safety reasons.  He also had a bit of a meltdown when we decided to go back to the house because it was getting dark, but overall he did very well.

Then Tuesday rolled around and we headed to a surgical hospital at 7 a.m. so his E.N.T. could remove the blue Play-Doh from his left ear.  I know.  Yes, he had Play-Doh in his ear.  I think it just must have been on his finger and he scratched his ear or something, but it was close to the eardrum and couldn't be tweezed out so it had to be removed while he was under.  Too bad he couldn't just sneeze it out like he did the LEGO he stuck in his nose, because while this procedure was short and relatively painless, it was expensive.  The surgical hospital was great with Ben, though, and he only had a few issues.  He was a doll until it was time to put on the little gown, and then the screaming began.  They solved that by letting him wrap up in a blanket with his undies and socks on instead, and that helped until a female nurse asked him to get in the bed so she could wheel him back for the procedure.  He began screaming and crying that he wanted "a man to do it" and they quickly found a very nice male nurse who carried him back without incident.  I don't know why he does that sometimes; maybe because he gets it set in his mind that it will be a man, and he doesn't change his idea about things very easily.  At any rate, the procedure went well, the Play-Doh is out, and other than being a bit drowsy and dizzy from the gas, he was fine.

Fast forward to yesterday, and I discovered that he lost his first tooth at some point this week.  He was digging in the back of his mouth and I felt around to see if he was getting a molar or something, when I saw that a lower front baby tooth was gone.  Gone!  There is just a little dark spot on the gum where it was and a permanent tooth is pushing up behind it.  I was heart broken.  I had a special book to read with him for this occasion (Bear's Loose Tooth by Karma Wilson), a special Tooth Fairy box Noni got him, and had big plans to celebrate it and be the Tooth Fairy.  I also felt like I had messed up.  How did my baby, my number one most important person, lose his first tooth and I had no idea?  I know I was sick last week, but still, I am a bit upset about it.

Fortunately, he was not traumatized by it as I had feared he would be and I don't think he even noticed.  I showed him his new tooth in the mirror and showed him that the one beside it is loose now too, but he really couldn't have cared less until we read the book and dug out the box.  Now he is super excited and wants the other one to fall out right now!  Hopefully, we'll catch this one. It was a busy week, and I am proud of what a big boy he was at many points of it.  He was also very sweet to me while I was sick, and I just couldn't ask for a better boy.  I really wouldn't change a thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment