Sunday, February 27, 2011

5 years

Dear Benjamin,

 A week ago, you turned five years old.  We celebrated with a family party, a chocolate dinosaur cake, lots of presents, and a big-boy bicycle.  I can hardly believe that it has been five whole years since you changed my life.  I still clearly remember the day you surprised us all by coming into the world a month early, and I know I will never forget it.

You have made me better.  Becoming a mother, raising you, and loving you has made me see the whole world in a different way.  I believe I am now a more understanding and less judgemental person, and I am a better teacher because of it.  I needed a new perspective, and you have given that to me as one of many gifts.

This last year was a big one for you.  Not just because of your diagnosis, of course, but your diagnosis has been important in bringing about many important and positive changes in our lives.  We understand you better now, and are able to better meet your needs and help you.  You attend a more suitable school and PPCD program with a teacher who is better able to educate you.  You have an occupational therapist.  You have a weighted blanket that enables you to sleep better and to go to sleep more easily.  You have made friends, and you adjust to new situations quite a bit better than before.  And your verbal communication has taken off like a rocket.

You still repeat a lot of things that you hear (echolalia), but you communicate with us about your needs and your thoughts more and more frequently.  You are now able to clearly communicate specific wants, and you are beginning to talk about your feelings, like being sad or scared.  I especially love when you say, "I'm happy!" or when you spontaneously hug me and say, "I love oo!"

You still have obstacles to overcome, and I am afraid some of them will always be issues in your life.  I promise you, though, that I will always be here to help you face them.  I love you more than I knew it was possible to love, and you are the center of my life.

The last five years have been wonderful, and I cannot wait to see what the next one brings.

Love always from your biggest fan,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment